Sweet and Sour Raw Papaya Pickle
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 8 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 23151 times
Raw papaya, quite contrary to the ripe ones, is quite crisp and has a unique taste, which lends itself well to salads, subzis and pickles.
Here, we have made a Sweet and Sour Raw Papaya Pickle by perking up the chopped and cooked raw papayas with a multitude of ingredients, including spices, tamarind and jaggery.
This chatpata pickle is sweet, sour and spicy, perfect to have with any paratha, or with a bowl of hot rice and dal. This will stay good in the refrigerator for up to a month. So, you can keep some handy and relish with any meal.
You can also try other pickles like the Quick Carrot and Capsicum Pickle or Spicy Lemon Pickle .
- Combine the papaya, ¼ tsp of turmeric, salt in enough water and cook on a medium flame for 15 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Drain well using a strainer.
- Heat the oil in abroad non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Add the garlic, ginger, green chillies, fenugreek seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the remaining ¼ tsp of turmeric, kashmiri red chilli powder and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the cooked papaya, tamarind pulp and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the jaggery and vinegar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Cool completely, serve or store it in an air-tight container and refrigerate till use.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per tbsp
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.