Spicy Broccoli Subzi
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 32 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 9122 times
Broccoli – a vegetable that you thought was best suited for international cuisines – is also a perfect to fit into desi subzis!
Try this delicious recipe, and you are sure to agree with us. This recipe features broccoli in a unique gravy, which is thickened with roasted chana dal and urad dal perked up with cumin seeds. A dash of garam masala and chilli powder boosts the flavour of the gravy, making it a truly exciting way to include broccoli in your diet.
Broccoli is a veggie that is low in calories but loaded with a good amount of nutrients like protein and antioxidants like vitamin A, C and folic acid. Relish this Spicy Broccoli Subzi hot and fresh.
- Combine the roasted chana dal, urad dal and 1 tsp of cumin seeds in a small non-stick pan and dry roast on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Cool and blend in a mixer along with 1 cup of water till smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat a deep non-stick pan on a medium flame and when it is hot, add the remaining 1 tsp of cumin seeds and bayleaf and dry roast on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and dry roast on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add ½ cup of water, cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the chilli powder, garam masala and ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the roasted chana dal-ural dal mixture and 1½ cups of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.