Sooji Idli / Suji Idli
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 877 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 275201 times
Feeling like having idlis for breakfast, but have not prepared and fermented the batter? Not to worry! Try this Sooji Idli, which is sure to please you with its soft and fluffy texture and interesting flavour. The addition of curds gives the idlis a slight sourness akin to traditional fermented batter, while coriander and the tempering boost its taste further. Not only is this recipe quick and tasty, it also looks very attractive as the tempering, which is mixed and steamed with the batter settles all over the idlis making them look very nice and appetizing.
- Combine all ingredients together, except the fruit salt, with 1 cup of water in a deep bowl, mix well and cover and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal , cashewnuts, curry leaves, green chilies and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add this tempering to the prepared semolina batter and mix well.
- Just before steaming, add the fruit salt and mix gently.
- Pour 2 tbsp of the batter into each greased idli mould and steam in a steamer for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool slightly, demould and serve immediately with sambhar and coconut chutney.
Nutrient values per idli
|Vitamin A||21.6 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||0.3 mg|
|Folic Acid||0.4 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.