Added to 43 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 43706 times
On one of my trips to the Punjab I picked up this gem of a recipe from a rather small and inconspicuous Punjabi restaurant.
This dal is absolutely delicious and the cook had no hesitation in telling me his secret which I now pass on to you!
Like most Punjabi dals this too requires ghee that add an unmatched flavour. Milk is added to the dal making it creamy. Almonds are used, which make this dal even richer.
Do try other Punjabi dals like Dal Amritsari or Panchratni Dal .
- Clean, wash and soak the urad dal in enough water for 6 hours and drain well.
- Combine the urad dal, almonds, turmeric powder, cardamom, salt and 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Discard the cardamom, combine the dal and milk and whisk well till smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions, garlic, and ginger and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, chilli powder and garam masala, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the whisked dal-milk mixture and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||288.7 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.7 mg|
|Vitamin C||9.6 mg|
|Folic Acid||34.7 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.