Added to 9 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 32475 times
One of Gujarat’s favourite street foods, the Sev Usal is an unimaginably scrumptious treat, with a mind-boggling array of textures and a vibrant burst of flavours – every aspect of it justifies its timeless popularity!
Boiled vatana is cooked with a tongue-tickling curry, made of tangy tomatoes, crunchy onions and peppy spice powders. This ragda is then topped with juicy grated veggies and crispy sev, to make the Sev Usal, which is enjoyed with soft laddi pav.
A filling and tasty treat, this is on everyone’s must-try list. Have a go at other popular street foods like the Dahi Ragda Chaat or Stuffed Ragda Patties
- Combine the vatana, little salt and enough water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt and ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked vatana, coriander, lemon juice and ½ cup water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Put 1/4th portion of ragda in a serving bowl and top it with ½ tsp of garlic chutney, 1 tsp of green chutney, 2 tsp of sweet chutney evenly over it.
- Put 1 tbsp of potatoes, 1 tbsp of onions, ½ tbsp of carrot, ½ tbsp of coriander and 1 tbsp of sev evenly over it.
- Repeat steps 1 to 2 to make 3 more servings.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.