Seedai, Baked South Indian Jar Snack
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 2 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 3007 times
Seedai is a super popular South Indian jar snack, which is inseparable from Janmashtami celebrations in Tamil Nadu. Every household makes a batch of tiny, ball-shaped seedais by deep-frying a dough of rice and urad flours with butter and spices, to offer to the playful Lord Krishna.
We present here a modified and healthier version of seedai made with a blend of healthy flours, and baked to perfection instead of deep-frying.
Not only do we boost the nutrition content using wholesome flours, but we also do away with the extra calories attached to deep-frying, making this snack accessible to everybody including dieters.
You can also try other healthy snacks like Baaked Bhakarwadi and Matarsutir Kachori .
- Combine the urad dal and chana dal in small non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes or till it turns light brown in colour, while stirring continuously.
- Cool slightly and blend in a mixer till smooth.
- Combine all the ingredients, except the oil in a deep bowl and knead into a semi-soft dough using enough water.
- Divide the mixture into 75 equal portions and roll each portion into a ball.
- Pour the oil and toss well.
- Arrange them on a greased baking tray.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200ºc (400ºf) for 15 minutes. Remove the tray using oven-friendly gloves and shake the tray slightly once or twice so as to toss the seedai and again bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool completely and store in an air-tight container. Use as required.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||47.7 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.7 mg|
|Vitamin C||0.1 mg|
|Folic Acid||19.4 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.