Rich Vanilla Sponge Cake Using Eggs
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 82 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 597203 times
When it comes to baking Cakes, practice makes one perfect, and the Rich Vanilla Sponge Cake Using Eggs is an ideal recipe to start off with as it is simple and useful.
A vanilla sponge cake always comes in handy, as it is subtle in nature, allowing the other ingredients in the final creation – be it a fruity sauce, an elaborate decoration, or even an Indian mithai – to stand out and take the bow.
Remember that when baking cakes, everything matters, right from how you fold the batter to the temperature of the oven. So, follow the instructions carefully. When folding the batter, remember to mix in only one direction.
One more important thing to remember is to not over mix or over beat the eggs and to add a little flour with the eggs so as to prevent them from curdling.
- Sieve the plain flour and baking powder in a deep bowl and keep aside.
- Cream the butter in a bowl with an electric beater for 1 minute.
- Add the sugar and cream it with an electric beater for 2 to 3 minutes till it is light and fluffy.
- Add one egg, 1 tbsp of the sifted flour mixture and beat with an electric beater till the egg is just mixed. Make sure to not over beat the egg.
- Repeat step 4 two more times.
- Add the remaining flour, vanilla essence and milk and fold gently using a spatula till well mixed.
- Beat with an electric beater for 30 seconds to mix uniformly.
- Line and grease a 175 mm. (7") diameter cake tin and pour the batter into it.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180ºc (360ºf) for 50 minutes.
- Keep aside to cool slightly, demould and use as required.
Nutrient values per cake
|Vitamin A||5067.2 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.4 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.7 mg|
|Vitamin B3||4.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||0.8 mg|
|Folic Acid||109.9 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.