Rava Idli in Microwave
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 456 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 309109 times
Rava Idli is one of the most popular South Indian snacks, especially in Karnataka. It is a kind of idli you can make quickly without requiring any grinding or fermentation.
If you get up one morning with no clue about what to prepare for breakfast, then this is the perfect fall-back option! It requires only common ingredients – a few minutes to put them together, soak and temper, then you are all set to steam the idlis.
Fruit salt is the magic ingredient, which gives these idlis their characteristic softness. However, remember that the effect of fruit salt lasts only for a limited time, so you need to mix it in just before you steam the batter.
Voila, you get super fluffy, sumptuous Rava Idli that will delight the whole family. We have made these Rava Idlis using the Microwave oven, as it is faster, more convenient and easier to clean up afterwards.
If you have some time on hand, prepare a tasty Sambhar to go with it, else you can serve it with Coriander-Coconut Chutney, which is equally delicious but quick as well.
Enjoy how to make Rava Idli in Microwave recipe with detailed step by step photos below.
- Combine all ingredients together, other than the fruit salt and leave aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the oil, ghee, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal and asafoetida in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Add the cashewnuts, curry leaves, green chillies and microwave for 1 more minute.
- Pour 1 cup of water in the base of a microwave safe idli steamer and microwave on high for 1 minute. Grease the idli moulds using little oil.
- Add the tempering and the fruit salt to the batter and mix well.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of batter into each greased cavity of the idli moulds and microwave, covered, on high for 2 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make 8 more rava idlis.
- Serve the rava idlis hot with coconut chutney and sambhar.
- Handy tips :
- Fruit salt contains sodium so the salt has to added accordingly.
- After adding fruit salt you have to make the idlis immediately as the fruit salt will loose its effect very soon.
- The idlis will not fluff up very well.
- We have used plastic microwave safe idli stand with 8 idlis in each container.
- You can use small glass bowls instead and cover them with plastic (microwave safe) wrap to retain the moisture.
- The time taken to cook the idlis will depend upon the number of idlis you make at a time.
Rava Idli in Microwave recipe with step by step photos
To make Ravi Idli batter, first take 1 cup semolina in a deep bowl. It is also known as rava /sooji (suji).
- Add the curd to it. It is the fresh curd that makes the rava idli soft in texture.
- Now add chopped coriander. If you dislike or do not have coriander then skip adding it.
- Add salt to taste and 1 cup of water.
- Mix well with the help of a whisk. Make sure there are no lumps in the batter.
Cover with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes. This Ravi Idli batter does not require any fermentation or grinding, it is quick and easy!
The rava idli batter looks like this after soaking.
To make the tempering of Ravi Idli, first put the oil and ghee in a deep microwave safe bowl. We are going to prepare the tempering in this bowl.
- Now add the mustard seeds. Mustard seeds, or rai, are very important in any tempering.
- Add the cumin seeds.
- Also the urad dal. You can use chana dal instead if you wish.
- Mix well and microwave on high for 2 minutes. This tempering can also be made over a flame but since this is a microwave recipe, we have used the microwave for making the tempering too.
- Now add the cashewnuts. They will become slightly golden brown on cooking. You can avoid cashews if you don’t like them.
- Add the curry leaves.
- Lastly add the green chillies and asafoetida.
Mix well and microwave for 1 more minute. This is the tempering that will be poured over the Ravi Idli batter. It is also called tadka.
To make Rava Idli in a microwave, first pour 1/2 cup of water in the base of a microwave safe idli steamer and microwave on high for 1 minute till the water heats up. Microwave safe Idli stands are easily available online in India and are fairly cheap. Also they often come with the microwave.
- Grease the idli moulds using little oil.
- Add the tempering to the batter. Since the rava absorbs a lot of water, if you think the batter is too thick, you can add 1-2 tbsps of water to make it a little thinner.
Mix the tempering into the Rava Idli batter.
Add the fruit salt to the batter. Add 2 tsps of water on the fruit salt to activate it. It does not give soapy taste like baking soda to the batter. Do not let the batter sit after adding fruit salt. If you are making a large batch of sooji idli then divide the Rava Idli batter and add the fruit salt in batches.
- When the bubbles form, mix gently. Do not mix vigorously or else the fruit salt will lose its fizz.
Pour little Rava Idli batter into each greased cavity of the idli moulds. We have used only one mould which makes 4 idlis. If you choose to use 2 moulds together, the chances are the idlis in the lower mould will not cook properly and will have to be cooked for longer.
- Place the idli mould in the microwave safe base, cover it and microwave on high for 2 minutes . Covering the moulds is very important as that traps the moisture and prevents the idlis from being dry. This is a microwave recipe but we also have a recipe of Quick Rava Idli that is made in the steamer.
To check whether the rava idlis have cooked properly or not, insert a toothpick or a knife in the centre of the idli if it comes out clean, your instant rava idlis are cooked. If not, then put them in the microwave for 30 more seconds.
Cool slightly and remove the rava idli from the mould. If you are facing difficulty in removing the rava idli then dip a knife in little oil and loosen the edges using a knife or remove them with the help of a wet spoon.
Repeat with the remaining batter to make 12 more rava idlis in a microwave.
Serve Rava Idli made in a microwave hot with coconut chutney, sambhar or malgapodi powder.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per idli
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.