Quick Rava Idli ( Tiffin Treats)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 131 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 84551 times
With its brilliant flavour and nice, flaky texture, Rava Idli is something like upma in idli form, so you get the best of both worlds. Since it is steamed, it is easier to digest than upma, has a convenient form factor for serving as well as packing, and stays soft and humid for longer. The batter for this is a mixture of rava and curds with a traditional tempering that imparts an enjoyable flavour to the idlis. This Quick Rava Idli does not require any fermentation and will come in very handy when you do not have batter or enough time to prepare anything else in the morning to pack in the tiffin box! You can ready the batter and the idlis fast, and your kids will also really enjoy this yummy treat. For a crunchy bite along with the idlis you can pack a few Cheese Chilli Frisbees in another tiffin.
- Combine all ingredients together, except the fruit salt along with 1 cup of water in a deep bowl andmix well. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil and ghee in a small non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, urad dal, cashewnuts, curry leaves, cumin seeds, green chillies and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add this tempering to the batter and mix well.
- Just before steaming, add the fruit salt and 2 tsp of water over the batter.
- When the bubbles form, mix gently.
- Pour a little batter into each greased idli mould and steam in a steamer for 7 to 8 minutes or till the idlis are cooked.
- Allow them to cool completely, pack in an air-tight tiffin box, with the coconut chutney in a separate air-tight box.
Nutrient values per idli
|Vitamin A||34.2 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||0.4 mg|
|Folic Acid||0.7 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.