Rasam, Tomato Rasam
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
- ગુજરાતી માં વાંચો (Rasam, Tomato Rasam in Gujarati)
Added to 27 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 15115 times
Rasam is to most South Indian the symbol of homely cooking. Whether a bachelor in a serviced apartment in the other end of the globe, or a family back from a holiday in the hills, or just a tired being returning back from office, the aroma of Rasam boiling in the kitchen is what their hearts would yearn for. So brilliant is its tangy-spicy flavour, strong enough to shake out a bad cold, yet soothing enough to warm your heart, that it has become famous in Indian restaurants across the world as a soup! Here is the traditional way of making Rasam, with the special spice powder, tamarind, tomatoes and dal, concluded aptly with an aromatic tempering, which is enough to bring everybody to the kitchen in a flash...Rasam and Medu Vada is a popular combo. You can also serve with it with a South Indian lunch of Chana Ghassi , French Beans Poriyal , Kolumbu , Mango Sasav , Ghee Rice and Paal Payasam .
- Combine all the ingredients in a small broad non-stick pan and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes. Keep aside to cool completely.
- Once cooled, blend in a mixer to a smooth powder. Keep aside.
- Combine the toovar dal with 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Blend the dal mixture using a hand blender till smooth.
- Add the rasam powder into it, mix well and keep aside.
- Combine the tomatoes, tamarind pulp, turmeric powder, asafoetida, salt and 3 cups of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared dal-rasam powder mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the ghee in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- When the seeds crackle, add the tempering to the prepared rasam, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the coriander and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Rasam Video of Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.