Masoor Dal Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 3 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 8994 times
If tempered with the right spices and masalas, even a simple, low-salt dal recipe can make you drool! This Masoor Dal recipe proves the fact.
Flavoured with common, everyday ingredients and tempered with cumin seeds and ginger, the dal tastes really awesome even though we have used very little salt in it.
Masoor dal is one of the recommended foods for those undergoing dialysis. The restricted salt content also makes this dal recipe suitable for those with high blood pressure .
Enjoy it hot with plain phulkas to make a tasty and wholesome meal.
- Combine the masoor dal, turmeric powder, salt and 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Add 2½ cups of water and whisk it well using a whisk till smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan add the cumin seeds and ginger and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Add the onion and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Lower the flame add the garlic paste, garam masala, chilli powder, asafoetida and 1 tbsp water and sauté for few seconds.
- Add the whisked dal water mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Switch off the flame, add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.