Mangalorean Tendli and Chana Masala
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 19 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 19756 times
This tendli preparation is truly packed with punch! While boiled kala chana adds an interesting textural dimension to the dish, a special masala paste made of spices, coconut, tamarind and other ingredients gives it a fabulous blast of flavour.
The paste has a spicy and tangy flavour, which seeps through the tendli making it super tasty. Be patient and cook the tendli and chana with the masala for the specified time, to let the flavour deepen delightfully.
Enjoy the Mangalorean Tendli and Chana Masala hot, with rice or rotis .
- Heat a broad non-stick pan, add the coriander, cumin seeds, ¼ tsp mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and red chillies and dry roast on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Once cooled slightly, combine the coconut, onion, garlic, tamarind pulp and ½ cup of water in a mixer and blend it till smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add ½ tsp mustard seeds and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the tendli and sauté on a medium flame for 4 minutes.
- Add the prepared coconut paste and sauté on a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Add the kala chana, salt and 1¼ cups of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add coriander, mix well and serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.