Low- Fat Kulfi with Strawberry Sauce
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 45 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 13695 times
Tradition meets innovation in this creative Low-Fat Kulfi with Strawberry Sauce. Sure to earn the praises of all your guests and family members, the visually appealing dessert is very low in fat despite the creamy likeness to authentic kulfi.
This is because adding citric acid to low-fat milk causes it to split, imparting a rich texture characteristic of kulfi. Unless told, nobody can guess it is so low in calories and fat.
- Combine the citric acid crystals and 2 tbsp of hot water in a small bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Combine the saffron and 1 tbsp of warm milk in a small bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Combine the cornflour and 1 tbsp of warm milk in a small bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the milk in a deep non-stick pan and bring to a boil for approx. 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Cook on a slow flame for 25 to 27 minutes or till it reduces to half of its original quantity, while scrapping the sides occasionally.
- Add the citric acid-water mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally. The milk may appear curdled, but that is intended.
- Add the cornflour-milk mixture and sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally. Remove from the flame and allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Add the saffron-milk mixture and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Pour into a 100 mm. × 100 mm. (4” × 4”) shallow container and freeze for 5 hours.
- Remove and blend in a mixer to break all the ice crystals till the kulfi is smooth and creamy.
- Pour into 5 kulfi moulds and freeze overnight or until it sets.
- Just before serving, allow the moulds to remain outside the freezer for 5 minutes and then unmould by inserting a wooden skewer or a fork in the centre of the kulfi and pulling it out.
- Serve immediately topped with strawberry sauce.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per kulfi
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.