Karela Chips Recipe, Bitter Gourd Snack
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 2 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 9690 times
Strong spicy and bitter notes combined with an irresistible crunch make the Karela Chips a total delight to bite into!
It is a multi-flavoured treat that kind of tickles and excites your taste buds. It is made by deep-frying spice-coated slices of karela. The karela must be sliced using a slicer and not a knife, to get uniformly thin slices.
It is then marinated with salt, mixed with masala and deep-fried. Since, we are already marinating in salt, do not add more salt when mixing the spices and flours.
The Karela Chips tastes delightful when relished with a bowl of hot dal rice. While it tastes best when served immediately, you can also cool it completely and store in an airtight container for 3 to 4 hours.
Try other karela based recipes like Karela Paratha or Karela Tikkis .
- Combine the karela and salt in a deep bowl and mix well with your hands.
- Cover with a lid and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Remove all the excess water by squeezing it very well between your palms.
- Add all the other ingredients and 2 ½ tbsp of water and mix very well or till the karela coats the masalas well.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and deep-fry a few karela slices at a time on a medium flame till they turn crispy and golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Cool slightly and serve or use as required.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per cup
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.