Kanchipuram Idli, Kanchipuram Idli in A Microwave
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 12 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 21887 times
Kanchipuram Idli is a special variety of Idli that is loaded with spices. It has the strong flavour of pepper and cumin seeds, which together with the crunch of roasted cashewnuts and chana dal makes it a real delight to devour. This recipe is named so, because it is said to have originated in the kitchens of the Sri Varadharaja Swamy temple in Kanchipuram, where it is still prepared as a daily offering.
Despite the recipe having become famous all over the world, devotees claim that the preparation at the temple has an inimitable flavour! That said, not everyday can we have the real stuff from the temple, so here is how to make it at home, and that too quickly, using the microwave oven.
- Combine the urad dal and enough water in a deep bowl and mix well. Cover with a lid and keep aside to soak for 4 hours.
- Combine the par-boiled rice, raw rice and enough water in a deep bowl and mix well. Cover with a lid and keep aside to soak for 4 hours.
- Wash and drain the urad dal and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste using approx. ¾ cup of water. Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl and keep aside.
- Wash and drain the par-boiled rice and raw rice and blend in a mixer to a slightly coarse paste using approx. ½ cup of water. Add this mixture to the urad dal mixture, add the salt and mix well.
- Cover it with a lid and keep aside to ferment in a warm place for 10 to 12 hours.
- After fermentation, add the turmeric powder and dried ginger powder and mix well. Keep this batter aside.
- Combine the cumin seeds and peppercorns in a mortal pestle (khalbatta), crush to a coarse mixture and keep aside.
- Combine the sesame oil and ghee in a small bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Add the chana dal, mustard seeds, urad dal, cumin seeds-peppercorn mixture, green chillies cashewnuts and curry leaves, mix well and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Add this tempering to the batter and mix well and keep aside.
- Pour enough water in a microwave safe idli maker and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Grease the microwave safe idli stand and pour a spoonful of the batter into each of the greased 8 microwave idli moulds and place it in the container and microwave on high for 4 minutes.
- Allow the idlis to cool slightly and demould them.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make more idlis.
- Serve immediately with sambhar and coconut chutney.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per idli
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.