Fried Chana Dal, Savoury Jar Snack
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 7307 times
Fried Chana Dal is a common, time-tested namkeen that nobody tires of! The crispiness of the deep-fried chana dal together with the chatpata seasoning makes it a great success with young and old.
It is a priceless, intensely satisfying experience to pop some of this into your mouth before you sip your hot tea or coffee. Don’t miss it!
You can also try other jar snacks like Verki Puri or Nimki .
- Soak the chana dal in enough hot water in a deep bowl for 3 hours.
- Drain well using a strainer.
- Place them on a big muslin cloth and pat it with another muslin cloth over it allow them to dry for atleast 15 minutes or till there is no water and they are dry.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, dip the strainer in it and put half the chana dal in it and deep-fry on a medium flame till it turns crisp. This would take approx. 7 to 8 minutes.
- Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Dap another tissue on it to remove the excess oil.
- Sprinkle half of the prepared spice mixture evenly over it and toss well.
- Repeat steps 4 to 6 to deep-fry the chana dal in 1 more batch.
- Cool completely and store in an air-tight container. Use as required.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per cup
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.