Cream Of Spinach Soup, Palak Soup
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 75 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 283791 times
The nutty flavour and rustic aroma of spinach are the highlights of this recipe, which is popular in most Indian restaurants. Made with very few ingredients, the Cream of Spinach soup is also easy to prepare.
Onion gives it a wonderful flavour, while cream gives it a rich mouth-feel. Since spinach cooks fast, it also takes very little time to prepare this delicious soup that is loved by all because of its vibrant colour and creamy texture.
Cream Of Spinach Soup and Garlic Bread make a great combo.
- Heat the butter in a deep non-stick kadhai, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes or till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the spinach and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add 2 cups of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Allow it to cool completely.
- Once cooled, blend in a mixer to a smooth purée.
- Strain the purée with help of a sieve and transfer it to a kadhai.
- Combine the cornflour-milk mixture and the cream in a bowl and mix well till no lumps remain and add it to the spinach purée and mix well. Cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the salt and pepper, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 more minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with cream.
Cream of Spinach Soup Video by Tarla Dalal
Cream Of Spinach Soup, Palak Soup recipe with step by step photos
While adding milk to any soup always remember the temperature of the soup and milk should be same, i.e. hot is to hot and cold is to cold or else the milk will split.
We have used full-fat milk, but if you wish you can use low-fat milk.
If you love spinach in soup check out our Spinach Soup recipes with different combos like Moong Dal mand Spinach Soup, Rajma and Spinach Soup, Corn Tomato and Spinach Soup, Carrot and Spinach Soup, Spinach and Mint Soup , Clear Soup with spinach and Mushrooms.
Heat butter in a non-stick pan.
Once the butter melts add the finely chopped onions.
Sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes or till the onions turn translucent.
Add spinach and mix well.
Add 2 cups of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
Cool the spinach-onion mixture completely.
Once cooled blend in a mixer to a smooth purée.
Strain the purée with help of a sieve.
Transfer it into the kadhai.
Take milk in a bowl.
Add fresh cream.
Add corn flour and mix well till no lumps remain.
Add the milk, cream and corn flour mixture to the spinach puree in the kadhai and mix well.
Cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally, or else the corn flour will settle to the bottom and burn.
Add salt, pepper powder and mix well. Freshly ground black pepper has a better flavour and aroma compared to readymade pepper powders.
Cook on a medium flame for 1 more minute, while stirring occasionally.
The Cream of Spinach Soup has now thickened and is ready to serve.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.