Coconut, Saffron and Lemon Cupcakes
by Shreya Jaiswal
Added to 1 cookbook
This recipe has been viewed 3917 times
Coconut, Saffron and Lemon Cupcakes with Saffron and Lemon Butter cream frosting.....The frosting had the perfect citrusy flavour. Combination of saffron, lemon and desiccated coconut makes this a perfect cupcake.
- Line 6 cupcake molds with papers, or butter and flour them.
- In a small pan toast the saffron threads for approximately a minute on a low flame or until they are just heated. Over heating can burn the saffron threads. This will make it easier to grind the threads into a powder.
- With a mortar and pestle grind the threads into a fine powder. Steep the saffron powder in 1 tsp milk. Reserve 1/4 tsp of the saffron infusion for the frosting.
- Preheat the oven to 160 ºC. Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda together.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Mix in the lemon zest, yogurt and the saffron infusion, and beat until properly mixed.
- Put in the coconut, half the milk and flour mixture. Beat until well mixed. Fold in the remaining flour and the milk and beat well.
- Divide the batter among cupcake molds.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before frosting the cakes or else the frosting will melt over the cake.
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Mix in the butter, the reserved saffron infusion and beat until well blended. Stir in the lemon juice and beat again. Frost the cakes using a palette knife or icing mold.
This recipe was contributed by Shreya Jaiswal on 01 Mar 2011Hi I am Shreya from Nagpur. I am an Interior Designer by profession.
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.