5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 187 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 65545 times
These tear drop shaped rasgullas have a firmer texture as they are cooked in a thicker sugar syrup.
Amongst all the Bengali Sweets ,Chum Chum is an all time favourite.
- Knead together the chenna and food colour and divide the mixture into 8 equal parts. Keep aside.
- Flatten each portion between the palms of our hands and shape them into ovals, taking care to see that there are no cracks on the surface.
- Dust the back of a flat plate (thali) lightly with the flour and place the chum chums on it.
- Combine the sugar and milk with 3 cups of water in a large pan approx. 200 mm. (8") in diameter and 150 mm. (6") in height and heat while stirring continuously till the sugar dissolves.
- When the syrup comes to a boil, the impurities in the sugar will begin to float on the surface, forming a grey layer.
- Heat over a medium flame to allow the grey layer to float. Do not stir at this point as the layer will break and it will not clarify the syrup.
- After about 5 minutes, slowly drizzle 1/2 cup of water from the sides of the pan with the help of a ladle.
- Water added at this stage will bring down the temperature of the sugar syrup and will not allow it to boil and break the grey layer using a slotted spoon.
- Bring the syrup to the boil once again and then slowly drizzle another 1/4 cup of water from the sides of the pan using a ladle. Remove all the remaining impurities in the syrup, again using a slotted spoon.
- Add the saffron colour, increase the flame and boil vigorously for 1 to 2 minutes. Keep aside.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of the plain flour with 3/4 cup of water to make a flour solution. Keep aside.
- Heat the sugar syrup in a deep pan over a high flame and allow it to boil vigorously.
- When it boils, sprinkle half the flour solution in the sugar syrup and then add the chum chums by upturning the plate on which they are kept.
- (do not touch the chum chums at this point as they are fragile).
- When the flour solution is added, a frothy layer is formed on the surface of the syrup.
- When the frothy layer begins to subside, sprinkle the remaining half portion of the flour solution.
- After this, keep on sprinkling water (minimum 1 cup) on the surface of the sugar syrup. Ensure that the syrup froths all the time while cooking the chum chums.
- Cook for about 15 minutes, continuously sprinkling water to enable the froth to form.
- Check if the chum chums are cooked. This is determined by touch the chum chum springs back when touched and retains its shape when pressed, it is cooked. Another way of checking is to dip a chum chum in a pan of cold water.
- If it is sinks to the bottom, it is cooked.
- Increase the flame to high so that the sugar syrup thickens and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from the fire.
- Transfer the chum chums to a bowl along with 3 ladles of sugar syrup and 1 cup of water.
- Allow the chum chums to cool completely about 3 to 4 hours. Remove the chum chums from the syrup and squeeze out the excess syrup.
- Roll the chum chums in desiccated coconut so as to evenly coat them.
- Serve chilled.
- Chum chums should always be cooked on a very high flame.
- While cooking chum chums, the sugar syrup must froth continuously.
- The pan should be approximately 200 mm. (8") in diameter and 150 mm. (6") in height and the sugar syrup should fill about 1/3 of the pan.
- While sprinkling water on the syrup when the chum chums are cooking, make sure you sprinkle a little water at a time.
- (approx. a teaspoon at a time using your hands) and not large quantities.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||220.4 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||1.4 mg|
|Folic Acid||8 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.