Bulgur Wheat Pulao, Low Salt Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
This recipe has been viewed 229 times
This yummy pulao is so tasty that you won’t feel the absence of rice in it! Made of nutritious bulgur wheat, teamed up with a horde of veggies, this pulao is pleasantly-spiced and has a nice mouth-feel too.
Bulgur wheat, also known as broken wheat, is loaded with fibre and is a good substitute to high glycemic index rice. Being low in sodium, potassium and phosphorous, this Bulgur Wheat Pulao is just right for diabetics with minor kidney problems or high blood pressure.
We have roasted the bulgur wheat to remove the raw smell and also reduce the cooking time. This recipe does not require soaking, so you need not plan in advance for it. Just ensure that while preparing this recipe you do mix it vigorously, otherwise it might get mushy.
- Put the broken wheat in a broad non-stick pan and dry roast on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the carrots and french beans, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the capsicum, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the broken wheat, green chilli paste and salt, mix well and cook for 30 seconds, while stirring occasionally.
- Add 2½ cups of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 18 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.