Baked Layered Coconut Rice with Curry
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 234 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 39115 times
Watch out for that look of bliss on the face of the diners after they try this delectable recipe! You cannot expect anything less, given the mind-blowing mouth-feel and exciting range of flavours that this dish offers you.
Here, we begin with rice cooked in coconut milk, which has a soothing flavour and pleasantly spicy aroma. This is layered with an exciting vegetable curry that is flavoured with tangy tomatoes and a richly-flavoured paste of coconut and spices.
The whole arrangement is covered with aluminium foil and baked in the oven to get a sumptuous Baked Layered Coconut Rice with Curry. Relish this dish hot and fresh, to enjoy a really fabulous mélange of flavours and textures.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the cinnamon and cloves and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the rice and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and 1 cup of water, mix gently and cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add all the remaining ingredients and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Cool and blend in a mixer using ¼ cup of water till smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the prepared paste and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the mixed vegetables, fresh tomato pulp, fresh cream, sugar, salt and ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- In a baking dish, put half the rice and spread it evenly, put all the curry over it and spread it evenly. Finally put the remaining rice and spread it evenly.
- Cover with an aluminium foil and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c(400°f) for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.