Coconut Rice with Vegetable Curry
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 45 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 22684 times
You must try this on a nice rainy sunday, and you are sure to fall in love with it. Don’t be surprised if you feel like making it every other day after that – it can be addictive! rice, richly cooked with coconut milk and desi spices, topped with a luxurious, creamy curry of mixed veggies and paneer, this is truly a delicacy, prepared easily in the comfort of your own kitchen with a humble kadhai.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick kadhai and add the cinnamon and cloves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and sauté on a medium flame for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, 1 cup of water and salt, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes or till the rice is cooked, while stirring occasionally. Cover and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the prepared paste and 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt, tomatoes and sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 2 to 3 minutes, while mashing with the back of a spoon.
- Add the paneer cubes, ¼ cup of water and mixed vegetables, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 more minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the fresh cream and mix well.
- Just before serving, re-heat the rice and curry separately.
- Place the rice onto a serving plate and pour the curry evenly over it.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.