Dal and Vegetable Handwo ( Weight Loss After Pregnancy )
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 69 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 21781 times
This high protein variation of the traditional gujarati savory cake uses moong dal and semolina. Rich in folic acid and iron, this is a tasty way to speed up red blood cell development to make up for blood loss after delivery. I’ve cooked this in a non-stick pan to minimize oil usage.
- Combine the moong dal paste, semolina, bottle gourd, carrots, coriander, garlic, turmeric powder, chilli powder, sugar, lemon juice, ginger-green chilli paste and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Divide the batter into 2 equal portions.
- Sprinkle the fruit salt on 1 portion of the batter and add 2 tsp of water over it.
- When the bubbles form, mix gently.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp of oil in a non-stick kadhai and add ¼ tsp of mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add ½ tsp of sesame seeds and ¼ tsp of asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Pour the batter and spread it evenly to make a thick batter.
- Cover and cook on a slow flame for 7 to 8 minutes or till the base turns golden in colour and crisp.
- Lift the handvo gently using 2 large flat spoons and turn it over to the other side.
- Cover and cook on a slow flame for another 5 to 7 minutes or till it turns golden brown in colour.
- Cool slightly and cut it into equal pieces.
- Repeat with the remaining portion to make 1 more handvo. Serve immediately.
- To get 1 cup of yellow moong dal paste, clean, wash and soak ½ cup of yellow moong dal in enough water for 3 to 4 hours. Drain and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste.
|Energy|| 134 Calories|
|Protein|| 5.7 Gm|
|Carbohydrates|| 21.4 Gm|
|Fat|| 2.0 Gm|
|Iron|| 1.0 Gm|
|Zinc|| 0.6 Mg|
|Folic Acid|| 27.1 Mg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.