by Tarla Dalal
4/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 119 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 112585 times
Crunchy fried bitter gourds (karela) tossed with jaggery, poppy seeds and cashewnuts. This recipe tastes superb when served immediately after it is made. It is a great accompaniment for kadhi-chawal.
- Peel and slice the bitter gourd and apply salt over them. Cover and allow them to rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Drain out the liquid and discard.
- Dissolve the jaggery in 3 to 4 tablespoons of water and keep aside.
- Deep fry the bitter gourd slices in hot oil till they are crisp and golden brown. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds. When they crackle, add the asafoetida and the turmeric powder.
- Add the cashewnuts and fry till they are lightly browned. Then add the poppy seeds, sesame seeds and raisins.
- Add the jaggery solution and allow it to cook for 4 to 5 minutes till it thickens. Lower the flame, mix the fried bitter gourd slices into the jaggery mixture and cook until the karlea slices are dry.
- Transfer onto a plate and allow to cool slightly. Serve when the bitter gourd slices are crisp.
- Save the peel of the karela to make karela theplas, just as we make mehti theplas.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.