Black Forest Cake
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 262 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 171462 times
A different chocolate cake with a high layer of cream. Be sure to follow the recipe step.
- Grease and dust a 175 mm. ( 7") diameter tin.
- Sieve the flour and cocoa together.
- Beat the eggs and sugar very well until thick and double in quantity. This should take 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the flour, melted butter, essence and 2 tablespoons of water. Mix with a metal spoon.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake in a hot oven at 400°f for 10 minutes. Thereafter, reduce the temperature to 350°f and bake for a further 7 minutes.
- Cool tbe cake.
- Divide the cake into 2 parts horizontally. The top part should be thinner than the other one.
- Make a syrup by mixing 1/2 teacup of water very well with 2 teaspoons of powdered sugar. If you like, add a little rum or other liquor to the syrup.
- Sprinkle a little syrup over the two cake parts and allow to soak. Repeat after 10 minutes. Be sure that the cakes are moist.
- Crush the biscuits. Add the sugar and melted butter.
- Apply the jam on the back of the cake.
- Press the biscuit mixture over the jam.
- Mix the gelatine in 4 tablespoons of cold water. Heat on a slow flame until it dissolves completly.
- Beat the cream with sugar. Keep aside 2 tablespoons for decoration.
- Mix the gelatine solution and cream well.
- Beat the egg - whites stiffly.
- Mix the beaten egg - whites and vanilla essence.
- Grease a 150 mm. (6") diameter mould. Pour the mixture into it.
- Set it in the freezer compartment of a refrigerator.
- When the cream sets, dip the mould in hot water for a few seconds.
- Place the sets cream on the thick part of the cake, put the thin part on the top and press well.
- Decorate the cake with the saved cream and grated chocolate. Apply a few biscuit crumbs on the sides of the cream.
- Store the cake in a refrigerator.
- Cut into slices and serve.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.