Bharwa Lauki ( Rajasthani Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 157 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 158567 times
There are two ways to look at lauki. Only the pessimist would think it to be plain and boring; the optimist always looks at it as a wonderful ingredient that absorbs the added flavours very well. Once again, lauki proves its mettle in this recipe, with a grand stuffing of mixed nuts and paneer enhanced with simple but effective spice powders. Drowned in a tangy tomato gravy, the stuffed lauki is nothing short of a delicacy. Garnish the Bharwa Lauki with perky coriander and serve fresh.
- Combine all the ingredients, except the bottle gourd, in a deep bowl and mix well. Keep the stuffing aside.
- Cut the bottle gourd lengthwise to get two halves and scoop out the centre of both the halves. Cut each half into a 50 mm. (2?) long pieces. You will get approx. 10 pieces in all.
- Combine the bottle gourd pieces, salt and enough water in a deep non-stick pan and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till the bottle gourd pieces are cooked. Drain well and keep aside to cool slightly.
- Divide the paneer stuffing into 10 equal portions and stuff each piece of bottle gourd with a portion of the filling. Keep aside.
- Combine the tomatoes and 1 cup of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes. Allow it to cool slightly and blend in a mixer till smooth. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai, add the cinnamon and cloves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the tomato mixture, ginger-green chilli paste, coriander-cumin seeds powder, chilli powder, garam masala, sugar and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Just before serving, place the stuffed bottle gourd pieces on a serving plate and pour the hot tomato gravy over it.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.