South Indian Peanut Rice, Verkadalai Sadam Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 2 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 11816 times
Here’s a zesty rice preparation dominated by the crunch and nutty flavour of peanuts, highlighted by notes of red chilli. Though used in a small quantity, the warm aroma and flavour of sesame seeds is quite notable in the South Indian Peanut Rice.
With a mix of awesome flavours, this rice dish is quite tasty by itself and can be served simply with a thayir pachadi (raita) or papad.
It is best had fresh while the taste of the roasted peanut is nice and strong, but can also be packed for lunch or had later.
Try your hand at other South Indian recipes like Morkuzambu or Masala Vadas .
- Heat a small non-stick pan and dry roast the raw peanuts for 3 minutes.
- Transfer them into a plate and keep aside to cool.
- In the same small non-stick pan, add the chana dal and dry roast on a medium flame for 5 minutes. Keep aside to cool.
- In the same small non-stick pan, add the urad dal and dry roast on a medium flame for 2 minutes. Keep aside to cool.
- In the same small non-stick pan, add the dry chillies and coconut and dry roast on a medium flame for 4 minutes. Keep aside to cool.
- Combine the roasted chana dal, urad dal, dry chilli-coconut mixture, turmeric powder and sesame seeds in a mixer and blend till coarse.
- Add the roasted peanuts and blend again till coarse.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the rice and salt and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and sauté on a medium fame for a few seconds.
- Add the prepared rice mixture, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.