by Tarla Dalal
Added to 230 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 45809 times
Varan refers to traditional Maharashtrian lentil-based dishes. Here, cooked toovar dal is perked up with fenugreek leaves and tasty spice powders and pastes. An aromatic tempering adds to the traditional charm of the Methiche Varan, making sure that its aroma and flavour remind you of mom’s cooking!
Indeed, this is a homely and satiating treat that you will thoroughly enjoy, when had with a bowl of hot rice or a few phulkas , you can also add on subzis like Batata Ani Flower Cha Rassa or Bharleli Vaangi and Onion Tomato Koshimbir to round up your meal.
- Combine the dal, turmeric powder, salt and 3 cups of hot water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Whisk the dal well using a hand blender. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a small non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add this tempering to the cooked and whisked dal, add fenugreek leaves, jaggery, chilli powder, green chilli paste, garlic paste and little salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
RECIPE SOURCE : Dals
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.