by Tarla Dalal
Added to 319 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 104288 times
Bharleli Vaangi is an all-time favourite Maharashtrian subzi that tastes great with both rice as well as rotis.
This semi-dry subzi is quite easy to make but wonderfully tasty. It is made by cooking small brinjals stuffed with a masala of coconut, onions, peanuts and spices.
The masala not only gives the dish its characteristic taste but also imparts an awesome mouth-feel.
Make sure you select small brinjals so that they will cook uniformly up to the core. Larger ones might remain hard in the middle.
Also, we suggest soaking the brinjals in salted water for a while before proceeding with the recipe, as described, to reduce the cooking time.
Enjoy this traditional treat hot and fresh with rice or rotis. You can also try other Maharashtrian recipes like Dodkyacha Bhaat or Masala Bhaat.
- Make criss-cross slit on each brinjal taking care not to separate the segments.
- Soak the brinjals in enough water in a deep bowl with little salt for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pat them dry.
- Stuff each brinjal evenly with the prepared masala mixture and keep the remaining mixture aside for later use.
- Heat the oil in a deep non- stick pan and add the mustard seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the remaining masala mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the stuffed brinjals and 1¼ cups of water, mix gently cover it with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 15 to 17 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.