Masala Khakhra, Whole Wheat Masala Khakhra Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
મસાલા ખાખરા ની રેસીપી
- ગુજરાતી માં વાંચો (Masala Khakhra, Whole Wheat Masala Khakhra Recipe in Gujarati)
Added to 210 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 335946 times
masala khakhra | whole wheat masala khakhra | Gujarati whole wheat masala khakhra | healthy whole wheat masala Khakhra | with 17 amazing images
masala khakhra, a famous Gujarati dry snack is made from whole wheat flour, besan, low fat milk, chilli powder, salt, oil and water. The dough is rolled out and cooked on a tava with pressure applied till crisp.
The only difference between masala khakhra and whole wheat khakhra is the addition of chilli powder, a bit of besan and low fat milk.
I would like to share some important tips to make the perfect Gujarati whole wheat masala khakhra. 1. Knead it into a soft dough without using any water. If you are not using any milk, then use water and knead. This whole wheat masala khakhra dough should be kneaded just like a roti dough but a little harder. 2. Using more flour for rolling, roll out the dough into a very thin 175 mm. (7") diameter circle. Make sure the masala khakhra is thin or else it will not be crispy.
masala khakhra, I usually make a large batch of these and store them in an air-tight container for those hungry times. They stay well for upto 15 days and make an ideal low calorie snack for you and your family.
With a little imagination and a wee bit of effort, you can spice them differently or even experiment with different kinds of flours like jowar, bajra, oats to make delicious low calorie munchies. See our bajra methi khakhras and oats methi multiflour khakhras.
Enjoy our masala khakhra | whole wheat masala khakhra | Gujarati whole wheat masala khakhra | healthy whole wheat masala Khakhra with detailed step by step photos.
- To make masala khakhra, combine all the ingredients and knead into a soft dough without using any water.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions and roll out each portion into a very thin round of 175 mm. (7") diameter using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook each masala khakhra on a slow flame till pink spots appear on both the sides.
- Continue cooking the masala khakhra on a slow flame, while pressing with a folded muslin cloth, till it turns crisp and brown from both the sides.
- Cool and store the masala khakhras in an air-tight container.
Masala Khakra Recipe Video by Tarla Dalal
Masala Khakhra, Whole Wheat Masala Khakhra Recipe recipe with step by step photos
To make masala khakhra | whole wheat masala khakhra | Gujarati whole wheat masala khakhra | healthy whole wheat masala Khakhra, put 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour in a deep, clean bowl.
To this, add just a little besan which gives a nice flavour and crsipy texture to your masala khakhra.
- We will now add the cumin seeds. You can even add ajwain in this for a unique taste.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder and hing. Since this is a Masala Khakhra, we have added these 3 masalas. You can try and experiment with more masalas like kasuri methi.
- Add the low-fat milk. You can even use regular milk or avoid milk altogether. But usually Gujarati khakhras do use a little bit of milk in the dough.
- Now add the oil and salt to taste. The oil will make the khakhra nice and crisp when cooked.
- Mix all the ingredients together so that the masalas are evenly distributed throughout the flour.
- Knead it into a soft dough without using any water. If you are not using any milk, then use water and knead. This dough should be kneaded just like a roti dough but a little harder.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions.
- Sprinkle a little whole wheat flour on the rolling board.
- Take one portion of dough, roll it in between your palms and flatten it on the rolling board.
- Using more flour for rolling, roll out the dough into a very thin 175 mm. (7") diameter circle. Make sure the khakhra is thin or else it will not be crispy.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and place the rolled dough onto it.
- Cook the khakhra on a slow flame till pink spots appear on both the sides. The flame here has to be slow because you do not want the dough to burn.
- Continue cooking the khakhra on a slow flame, while pressing with a folded muslin cloth or a khakhra press. The reason we press down on it is to avoid the roti from puffing up.
- Cook till it turns crisp from both sides till it turns crisp and brown on both sides. Repeat the same steps for the remaining 3 portions of the dough.
Cool masala khakhra | whole wheat masala khakhra | Gujarati whole wheat masala khakhra | healthy whole wheat masala Khakhra completely and serve or store in an air-tight container for 10-12 days.
Masala Khakhra – A Healthy Dry Snack. Dry snacks are a handy option to rely on when hunger strikes you in the evening. These masala khakhras are a perfect example to prove this. Make them and store them in air-tight container. 2 of these khakhras will provide approx. 160 calories, precisely what you need at snack time. Moreover these add on 5.2 g of protein for health bones and cell health as well as 4.4 g of fiber to keep your digestive tract healthy. No fat has been used to cook these khakhras, but the spices exhibit their magic wand flawlessly. As a variation you can add a variety of other flours like ragi flour, jowar flour or bajra flour to the dough of these khakhras too.
Aside from masala khakhra, check out whole wheat khakhra recipe. See detailed step by step whole wheat khakhra. Makes 6 khakhras.
For The whole wheat khakhra
1 cup whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta) for rolling
3 tsp ghee for cooking
For the khakhra
To make the khakhras, combine the whole wheat flour, salt and oil in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water. Cover it with a lid and keep aside for 15 minutes.
Divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
Roll a portion of the dough into a 200 mm. (8") diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and place a roti on it and cook on both sides for a few seconds.
Apply ¼ tsp ghee on each side and cook on a slow flame until crisp using little pressure with help of a muslin cloth or with a khakhra press.
Repeat steps 3 to 5 to make 5 more khakhras.
Allow the whole wheat khakhras to cool completely and store in an air-tight container.
What to have your khakhra with? I carry these whole wheat masala khakhras on international travel and have them with some methia no masala. That helps me a lot when i crave for Indian food.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per khakhra
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.