by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 10 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 37254 times
Kewra essence is a flavouring substance extracted from the flower of the Pandanus or screw pine tree. An irresistible flavour, it is commonly used in north India and Pakistan, as well as in places like Australia and the Pacific Islands, where the trees are found in large numbers. This Kewra Phirni is nothing but traditional milk and rice phirni flavoured with kewra essence, which gives it an exotic and rich touch.
- Soak the rice in a small bowl using enough water for about 1 hour.
- Drain all the water and grind the rice in a mixer to a coarse mixture.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl and add ½ cup of cold milk to the rice, mix well till smooth.
- Boil the remaining 3½ cups of milk in a deep non-stick pan, add the rice-milk mixture, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the sugar, mix well and cook on a slow flame for another 2 minutes while stirring continuously.
- Remove from the flame and allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Add the kewra essence and mix well.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and serve chilled garnished with pistachio slivers.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.