Added to 1 cookbook
This recipe has been viewed 10046 times
Be ready for a flavour burst that’s sure to energise your taste buds! Doi Begun is a Bengali-style curry of eggplant in a curd-based gravy that’s resplendent with a range of synergetic flavours.
This version of Doi Begun is healthier than the traditional deep-fried one, because we have cooked the eggplant slices on a non-stick griddle with minimum oil. Upon cooking, the eggplant acquires a wonderful texture that enhances the dish.
Even though there is no onion or garlic, this dish has a fabulous flavour with an impeccable mix of sweet, sour and spicy notes. The aroma that wafts out of the kitchen as the curd is cooked with cumin and other spices is so appetizing that the whole family will assemble at the table much before meal-time!
Enjoy how to make Doi Begun recipe with detailed step by step photos.
- To make the doi begun,combine the whisked curds, sugar and salt in a small bowl and mix very well. Keep aside.
- Combine the chilli powder, turmeric powder, lemon juice, besan, salt and 2 tbsp of water in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Add the baingan slices and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), grease it with ½ tsp of oil, arrange half the baingan slices and cook using ½ tsp of oil on both the sides till golden brown in colour.
- Repeat step 4 to make 1 more batch.
- Heat oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- Once they crackle, add the ginger paste and slit green chilli and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chili powder and 1 tbsp of water, mix well and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the curd-sugar mixture, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 5 to 6 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add baingan slices and 1 tbsp of water, mix well and cover and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.