How many calories does one serving of Paneer Palak Koftas in Makhani Gravy have?
One serving of Paneer Palak Koftas in Makhani Gravy gives 87 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 55 calories, proteins account for 15 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 16 calories. One serving of Paneer Palak Koftas in Makhani Gravy provides about 4 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Paneer Palak Koftas in Makhani Gravy recipe. Low-cal Paneer Palak Kofta in Makhani Gravy, anyone? The weight-watcher is usually terrified of words like paneer and makhani, but here is a low-cal version of this popular North Indian dish specially formulated to please food lovers without adding to their waistline. The innovative twist here is the use of red pumpkin and low-fat milk to impart a creamy and thick mouth-feel, very close to authentic makhani fare, without using any butter or cream. The koftas are also steamed instead of deep-fried.
Is Paneer Palak Koftas in Makhani Gravy healthy?
Yes, this is healthy. But restrictions apply to some.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Spinach (Palak) : Spinach is one of the richest plant sources of Iron and it should be part of a healthy diet for everyone. Raw spinach is very rich in insoluble fibre, 25% having soluble fiber and 75% insoluble fiber. Spinach is good for the heart, diabetics and eyes. Read this on the 17 benefits of spinach and why you should eat it.
2. Paneer : Paneer contains high quality protein and calcium which aids in weight loss. Since paneer is low in carbs and high in protein it gets digested slowly and hence good for diabetes. Potassium in paneer helps to reduce the effect of high sodium, by lowering blood pressure and contraction of blood vessels, resulting in improved heart health and reduced risk of heart attack. Great for weight loss and read the interesting article on is paneer good for you?
3. Tomatoes : Tomatoes are extremely rich source of Lycopene. Tomatoes are a powerful antioxidant, super rich in Vitamin C, good for heart. Tomatoes are a Pregnant women's friend and are rich in Folate or Folic Acid which helps your body to produce and maintain new cells, especially red blood cells. Read about 13 amazing benefits of tomatoes.
4. Onions (pyaz, kanda) : Raw onions are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. Yes, it’s a source of many antioxidants, the most important one amongst them being Quercetin. The quercetin which promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. This in turn would lower blood pressure and good for heart, diabetics. Read the benefits of onions.
5. Red Pumpkin ( kaddu, bhopla) : A cup of pumpkin cubes fulfils your day’s requirement of Vitamin A (5526 mcg), thus making it a super food for your eyes. Kaddu can be included in safe amounts or restricted amounts by diabetics. The magical combo of antioxidants and Vitamins A and Vitamin C create a shield against cancer cells. The antioxidants help reducing LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) from oxidizing and clogging the blood vessels, which if persists would increase the risk of heart disease. Read is pumpkin healthy?
6. Milk and Low Fat Milk : 1 cup of milk provides 70% of the Recommended Daily Allowance of Calcium. Milk promotes strong bones. The Calcium in Milk helps to protect your teeth against gum disease and keeps your jaw bone strong and healthy. Milk is low in carbs and therefore does not raise blood glucose levels. However diabetics must consider including low fat milk as advised by their dietitian only so as to avoid any fluctuations in blood sugar levels. Protein is another key nutrient which milk is rich in - 8.6 g from a cup. So all those looking to build protein stores can add milk and its products like curd and paneer to their diet. One cup of Milk gives 10 grams of carbs. Low fat milk has lower fat and the same benefits of milk.
What's the problem?
Sugar : Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage. To live a healthy life, try and cut sugar which from your diet. It requires a slow and deliberate attempt to do it. Find hidden sugar in packaged foods and drinks and stop having those products. Did you know that a can of your favourite soft drink is estimated to have 1/2 cup of sugar. Refinded carbohydrates like maida, sugar, bread, pasta, noodles and sugar on consumption get stored as unhealthy fat in the body.
Cornflour ( Cornstarch) : Pros. Cornflour is easy to digest because of the presence of insoluble fiber, thus benefits the gut. It’s gluten-free and can be consumed by those who cannot afford to stock wheat. Cons. Cornflour is full of calories and carbs like refined sugar, thus a barrier to weight reduction. Those on weight loss diet must definitely not reach out for it. The high crabs makes it a No-No for a diabetic meal and restricted for heart patients. Read for more details is cornflour healthy?
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Paneer Palak Koftas in Makhani Gravy?
Yes, this recipe is good for diabetics, heart and weight loss BUT in restricted quantity. There is a bit of sugar and cornflour used in the recipe which is not healthy. Kaddu can be included in safe amounts or restricted amounts by diabetics. Paneer contains high quality protein and calcium which aids in weight loss.
Can healthy individuals have Paneer Palak Koftas in Makhani Gravy?
Paneer Palak Koftas in Makhani Gravy is high in
1. Folic Acid : Folic acid is an essential vitamin required throughout pregnancy.
2. Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
3. Calcium : Calcium is a mineral that makes bones stay strong. Required from kids to adults.
4. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
5. Vitamin A : Vitamin A is crucial for healthy vision, cell growth and healthy skin.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 87 calories that come from Paneer Palak Koftas in Makhani Gravy?
Walking (6 kmph) = 26 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 9 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 12 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 15 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.