How many calories does one serving of Komal have?
One serving of Komal gives 159 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 23 calories, proteins account for 9 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 115 calories. One serving of Komal provides about 8 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Komal recipe. Beautiful, just like its name! a rare combination of spiced curds and coconut milk makes komal a spicy yet cooling drink. Although the green chillies represent the key flavour of this drink, discarding them before serving ensures that the slivers of chilli do not hinder the drinker. Remember that the tempering is a very essential part of the procedure for this recipe.
Is Komal healthy?
Yes, this is healthy. But restrictions apply to some.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Curd + Low fat Curds : Curds help in digestion as it has very good bacteria. Probiotics in curds acts as a mild laxative but, in case of diarrhoea and dysentery, it is a boon, if curd is used with rice.They help in weight reduction, good for your heart and build immunity. The only difference between curds and low fat curds is the fat level. Read the benefits of curds to include in your daily diet.
2. Coconut Milk : Recent research says that not eating enough fat can actually make fat. But you need to choose the type of fat correctly. And the answer is MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) – which goes directly to the liver and does not get stored as fat in body. Coconut milk contains some amount of potassium which is beneficial for those with high blood pressure.The lauric acid present in coconut milk has a positive effect on cholesterol levels improves heart health too. Read detailed benefits of coconut milk.
3. Coriander (kothmir, dhania) : The antioxidants vitamin A, vitamin C and the quercetin present in coriander works towards strengthening our immune system. Coriander is a fairly good source of iron and folate – the 2 nutrient which help in the production and maintenance of red blood cells in our blood. Good for reducing cholesterol and good for diabetics. Read 9 benefits of coriander to understand details.
4. Green Chillies : Antioxidant vitamin C in green chillies protects the body from effects of harmful free radicals and prevents stress. It is probably the high fiber which helps in controlling blood sugar levels. This it is a welcome addition to a diabetic diet. Suffering from anaemia? Add green chillies to your list of iron rich foods too. For complete details see benefits of green chilli.
What's the problem?
1. Vegetable Oils : To some vegetable oil is only soyabean oil, while some promote it as a mix of oils like soyabean, canola, sunflower, corn and other omega-6 rich oils. These are often cheaper options than many oils, but they are highly processed oils. They are undoubtedly not to be reached out for, whether you are looking for salad dressings, sautéing or cooking. The 5 best oils used in cooking are olive oil (low temperature short time cooking), avocado oil, canola oil, coconut oil and peanut oil. You must read the super article to find the facts of which oil is the healthiest avoid vegetable oil.
2. Sugar : Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage. To live a healthy life, try and cut sugar which from your diet. It requires a slow and deliberate attempt to do it. Find hidden sugar in packaged foods and drinks and stop having those products. Did you know that a can of your favourite soft drink is estimated to have 1/2 cup of sugar. Refinded carbohydrates like maida, sugar, bread, pasta, noodles and sugar on consumption get stored as unhealthy fat in the body.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Komal?
No for diabetics and yes for heart and weight loss. There is little sugar in the reicpe so a no for diabetics. Replace full fat curd with low fat curds for heart and weight loss. Coconut milk contains some amount of potassium which is beneficial for those with high blood pressure.The lauric acid present in coconut milk has a positive effect on cholesterol levels improves heart health too.
Healthy Indian Drinks
Healthy Indian drinks to choose from are tulsi tea recipe, masala chaas, low fat chaas recipe , unsweetened Indian chocolate almond milk with dates and neem juice.
Can healthy individuals have Komal?
How to burn 159 calories that come from Komal?
Walking (6 kmph) = 48 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 16 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 21 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 27 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.