How many calories does one tablespoon of Coconut Chutney have?
One tablespoon of Coconut Chutney gives 36 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 4 calories, proteins account for 2 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 30 calories. One tablespoon of Coconut Chutney provides about 2 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See here for coconut chutney recipe. coconut chutney recipe | thangai chutney | coconut chutney 6 varieties | coconut chutney for idli, dosa, uttapa | nariyal chutney | with 20 amazing images.
coconut chutney is made by grinding coconut, green chillies, ginger and chana dal with water to a fine paste. Then a tempering of mustard seeds, red chilli and curry leaves is added to the fine paste to make nariyal chutney.
The popular Indian Coconut Chutney has a well-rounded flavour that goes well with most variants of Idlis , Dosas , Appe , be it plain, veggie-topped, or more exotic options like Rava Idli or Ragi Dosa .
If you have grated coconut ready on hand, then it takes just minutes to prepare the coconut chutney, which makes it a popular accompaniment for breakfast.
You can vary the amount of green chillies according to your taste. And, if you are serving coconut chutney as the only accompaniment and want a bit of tang in it, you can also blend in a ½ inch piece of deseeded tamarind or 1 tsp of tamarind pulp.
When you use grated coconut which is fresh coconut, the coconut chutney made will last only for a day. After using coconut chutney for breakfast, then store it in the fridge if you want to use it for dinner.
We have added 7 varieties to coconut chutney which are fried coconut chutney, malgapodi and tomoato coconut chutney, coocnut thuvayal, tomato coconut chutney, fresh coconut garlic chutney, coconut coriander green chutney and Mumbai roadside coconut chutney.
Is Coconut Chutney healthy?
Yes, coconut chutney is healthy. Made mainly of greated coconut, ginger, green chillies and Indian spices.
Let's understand the ingredients.
Coconut : The fresh coconut has saturated fats but most of it is MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) which promote weight loss. The high fibre content 13.6 gm (45.3% of RDA) along with high lauric acid content of coconut improves cholesterol levels in the body. Improving the action of insulin secretion and lowering the raised blood sugar levels is yet another benefit of coconut for Diabetics. See here for 10 amazing benefits of coconut.
Ginger : Ginger is an effective cure for congestion, sore throat, cold and cough. It aids digestion. Ginger was found as effective as drugs in relieving menstrual pain. Ginger is effective in decreasing the cholesterol levels in patients with high cholesterol. See here for 16 Super Health Benefits of Adrak, Ginger.
Green Chilli : Antioxidant vitamin C in green chillies protects the body from effects of harmful free radicals and prevents stress. It is probably the high fiber which helps in controlling blood sugar levels. This it is a welcome addition to a diabetic diet. Suffering from anaemia? Add green chillies to your list of iron rich foods too. For complete details see benefits of green chilli.
Roasted chana dal, roasted daria : Roasted chana dal is an outstanding source of manganese, folate, protein, dietary fibre, copper, phosphorous and iron.
Note : 1 cup = 200 ml (standard cup available in the market). The weight in grams varies for each ingredient.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Coconut Chutney ?
Yes, they can. But have it in limited quantity for diabetics. For heart and weight loss, this chutney is good. The fresh coconut has saturated fats but most of it is MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) which promote weight loss. The high fibre content 13.6 gm (45.3% of RDA) along with high lauric acid content of coconut improves cholesterol levels in the body.
Can healthy individuals have Coconut Chutney?
Yes, this is healthy.
What are the healthy options to have with Coconut Chutney?
So enjoy your coconut chutney with healthy oats dosa, nachni dosa or buckwheat dosa. For idli lovers, pick oats idli or green moong dal idli. At tarladalal, we love to give you healthy options.
Coconut chutney is good for
1. Weight Gain
2. Diabetics in limited quantity
3. Heart Patients
4. Healthy Lifestyle
8 Pointers to Go Healthy and Stay Healthy
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover.
How to burn 36 calories that come from one tablespoon of Coconut Chutney?
Walking (6 kmph) = 11 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 4 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 5 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 6 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual