How many calories does one serving of Low Cal Tomato Soup have?
One serving of Low Cal Tomato Soup gives 87 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 47 calories, proteins account for 16 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 21 calories. One serving of Low Cal Tomato Soup provides about 4 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Low Cal Tomato Soup recipe. A perfect low-calorie substitute for creamy tomato soup in which the creamy texture is retained by the addition of protein rich moong dal and low-fat milk.
The use of only 1 tsp of butter for 6 servings makes this recipe truly healthy.
Using Toasted Whole Wheat Bread Croutons for serving is just the rich crunchy contrast to the Fried Croutonsmade with oodles of oil and refined flour.
Is Low Cal Tomato Soup healthy?
Yes, this is healthy.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Tomatoes : Tomatoes are extremely rich source of Lycopene. Tomatoes are a powerful antioxidant, super rich in Vitamin C, good for heart. Tomatoes are a Pregnant women's friend and are rich in Folate or Folic Acid which helps your body to produce and maintain new cells, especially red blood cells. Read about 13 amazing benefits of tomatoes.
2. Yellow Moong Dal : The fibre (4.1 g in ¼ cup) present in yellow moong dal prevents the deposition of bad cholesterol (LDL) in the arteries which promotes a healthy heart in turn. Packed with nutrients like zinc (1.4 mg), protein (12.2 mg) and iron (1.95 mg), yellow moong dal helps to maintain the elasticity of your skin and help to keep it moist. Fiber, potassium and magnesium from yellow moong dal will work together to regulate blood pressure and soothe the nerves and is diabetic friendly. See here for details of 7 amazing benefits of yellow moong dal.
3. Onions (pyaz, kanda) : Raw onions are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. Yes, it’s a source of many antioxidants, the most important one amongst them being Quercetin. The quercetin which promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. This in turn would lower blood pressure and good for heart, diabetics. Read the benefits of onions.
4. Milk and Low Fat Milk : 1 cup of milk provides 70% of the Recommended Daily Allowance of Calcium. Milk promotes strong bones. The Calcium in Milk helps to protect your teeth against gum disease and keeps your jaw bone strong and healthy. Milk is low in carbs and therefore does not raise blood glucose levels. One cup of Milk gives 10 grams of carbs. Low fat milk has lower fat and the same benefits of milk.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Low Cal Tomato Soup ?
Yes, this recipe is good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. We have avoided sugar and replaced full fat milk with low fat milk to make the recipe healthy. The fibre (4.1 g in ¼ cup) present in yellow moong dal prevents the deposition of bad cholesterol (LDL) in the arteries which promotes a healthy heart in turn. Low fat Milk is low in carbs and therefore does not raise blood glucose levels.
Some healthy Salad options for you to go with your soup
Soups and Salads make a great combination for a healthy meal. We have a huge collection of healthy salads and try some popular salads like Sprouted and boiled moong, Mooli ka salad, Sprouts spring onion and tomato salad and Lettuce orange and spinach salad.
Sprouted and Boiled Moong
Can healthy individuals have Low Cal Tomato Soup ?
Low Cal Tomato Soup is high in
1. Folic Acid : Folic acid is an essential vitamin required throughout pregnancy.
2. Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
3. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 87 calories that come from Low Cal Tomato Soup?
Walking (6 kmph) = 26 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 9 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 12 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 15 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.