9 Health Benefits of Fennel Seeds, Saunf
Fennel seeds scientifically named as Foeniculum vulgare is an aromatic herb which you must have always seen in your house since childhood. Indians need no introduction to this spice as it is commonly used in most households as a mouth freshener and digestive aid after meals. Some prefer having raw saunf, while other prefer roasted and salted saunf. Indian cuisine also makes use of this herb as in curries, gravies and some drinks like Raisin and Saunf Drink.
Raisin and Saunf Drink
Fennel plant is known to have originated in Mediterranean, but today India is also one of the biggest exporter of this herb. It abounds in many nutrients like fiber, vitamins and minerals. Let’s look at its nutrition facts in detail and understand the health benefits that they have to offer.
Nutrittve Information of Fennel Seeds, Saunf
1 tbsp of fennel seeds is about 6 grams
(RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance)
Energy – 20 calories
Protein – 0.9 g
Carbohydrate – 3 g
Fat – 0.9 g
Fiber – 2.3 g
1.2 mg vitamin C = 3% of RDA (about 40 mg)
68.8 mg of Calcium = 11.4% of RDA (about 600 mg)
1.1 mg of Iron = 5.5% of RDA (about 20 mg)
28 mg of Phosphorus = 4.6% of RDA (about 600 mg)
22.1 mg of Magnesium = 6.5% of RDA (about 340 mg)
97.4 mg of Potassium = 2% of RDA (about 4700 g)
9 Health Benefits of Fennel Seeds, Saunf
- Aids in Digestion: The fiber content of fennel seeds is enough to prove its digestive benefits. 1 tbsp of saunf provides 2.3 g of fiber, almost equal to 1 cup of chopped apple. Isn’t that astonishing? Just add to fennel seeds and allow to sun-dry for 2 to 3 hours. Then roast it in a kadhai on a slow flame till crisp. Enjoy it as a mukhwas. Alternatively you can mix it with other seeds to make Multiseed Mukhwas.
Multiseed Mukhwas ( Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Fibre Rich Recipe )
- Relieves Constipation: The fiber in saunf adds bulk and helps in easy bowel movements too. Senior citizens who often experience constipation can chew on fennels seeds after meals or opt for Fennel Tea to relieve constipation. For the sam reason fennel oil is also used as a laxative in some medicines and tonics.
Fennel Tea To Relieve Constipation
- Enhances Breast Milk Production: Fennels seeds benefit lactating mothers in 2 ways – firstly by helping in digestion and secondly by enhancing breast milk production. It is considered as a galactogogue according to some research. Read Other foods that stimulate breast milk production.
- Heart Protecting Property: The high fiber from saunf helps to reduce the bad cholesterol (LDL) in the body thus preventing the formation of plaque and in turn, heart attack. The flavonoids like quercetin help reduce the inflammation in the arteries. This further promote heart health. Try Cabbage and Dal Paratha.
Cabbage and Dal Parathas
- Prevents Cancer: This herb also contains another antioxidant ‘Anethole’ which helps to scavenge the free radicals from the body, which may be one of the cause of cancer if accumulated in the body. Although more research is required in this field, but addition of a tbsp. of saunf in daily cooking isn’t a harm. Try using fennel seeds in the form of Black Tea with Fennel.
How To Brew Indian Black Tea, Black Tea with Fennel
- Ease Menopausal Symptoms: Few studies have suggested that fennel seeds mimic estrogen and thus help to relive post-menopausal symptoms in elderly women. It thus helps to overcome sleeping problems, hot flushes, vaginal itching etc.
- Detoxify the Body: Fennel seeds contain ‘Anethole’ and its essential oils help flush out toxins from the body. They help cleanse your system and aid in further better absorption of nutrients. Fennel Tea is a good detoxifying drink.
- Combats Bad Breath: Halitosis (bad breath) is a common problem in many people. Think it is so easy to carry some fennels seeds with you to avoid that embarrassment of bad breath in public. Chew on it well and it will keep your mouth fresh for hours.
- Ease Nausea in Pregnant Women: Pregnant women who often experience morning sickness are always looking out for foods to prevent it. Fennel is one of the best solution which requires no cooking. It is always handy besides you. Chewing on saunf leaves a very pleasant lingering flavor in your mouth which prevents the feeling of vomiting. You can also include it by way of Bajra Kand Roti. Check out Other Home Remedies for Morning Sickness. However too much fennel seeds consumption may be of concern for pregnant women due to its estrogenic properties. So it is advisable to use fennels seeds on a long term basis under your doctor’s supervision.
Bajra Kand Rotis
Pleases your stomach,
Kicks off bad breath,
Protects your heart,
and Helps in Detox!!
Don’t miss out on this precious, inexpensive herb!!