Whole Wheat and Vegetable Khichdi
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 63 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 37065 times
Khichdi is one of the homeliest of dishes, which revives and comforts you after a tough day! It is easy and quick to make, yet satiating, nutritious and tasty too, which is probably what makes it popular with almost everybody.
Whole Wheat and Vegetable Khichdi is a dish that is ideal for those with diabetes and high cholesterol, as rice has been replaced with whole wheat. This khichdi, spiced with a mixture of Indian spices, tastes best when served hot with a bowl of curds.
- Blend the whole wheat in a mixer to a coarse paste using approx. ½ of cup water. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker, add the peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon and cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the mixed vegetables and sauté on a medium flame for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the ground wheat paste and moong dal, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 1 more minute.
- Add the salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder and 3 cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Garnish with coriander and serve immediately with fresh curds.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.