Whole Wheat Fresh Fruits Pie
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 22 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 12994 times
This heavenly Whole Wheat Fresh Fruits Pie just melts in your mouth, giving way to a burst of fruity flavours! The secret to getting a pie right is in preparing the dough properly. Here we tell you how to go about it, right from rubbing the ingredients together to making the dough with milk.
Using whole wheat flour to make the pie gives it a nice, rustic flavour and amazing texture. The topping lives up to the quality of the pie base, featuring a delightful combination of fresh fruits sandwiched between two layers of jam.
While some pies are best had warm, this particular fresh fruit pie tastes best after refrigeration as the chill temperature renews the juicy texture of the fruits.
- Combine the plain flour, icing sugar, butter and vanilla essence in a deep bowl, mix well and rub the mixture between your palms.
- Add the milk, mix well and knead it into a semi-soft dough without using any water.
- Place the dough on a clean, dry surface and roll into a 200mm. (8”) diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Place the rolled portion into a 175mm. (7”) diameter loose bottom pie dish and press the circle gently around the sides
- Prick all over the pie dough using a fork at regular intervals.
- Bake it in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 12 minutes. Keep aside to cool completely.
- Combine the jam, lemon juice and corn flour with ¼ cup of water in a small non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring continuously. Keep aside to cool completely.
- Divide the jam mixture into 2 equal portions and keep aside.
- Demould the pie and place it on a serving plate and spread half of the prepared jam mixture evenly over it.
- Arrange all the fruits evenly over it and spread the remaining prepared jam mixture evenly over it.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour and cut into 6 equal wedges.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.