Last Updated : Nov 09,2020
Viewed 24026 times
Also Known As
Kiwifruit, Chinese Gooseberry, Wonder fruit, Wood berry
What is Kiwi, Kiwifruit KiwifruitKiwi is an egg-shaped fruit with a velvety, greenish-brown outer covering and bright green flesh with tiny black seeds dotting the core. It has a soft texture and a unique flavour that is tangy and sweet.
Another variety, called the Golden Kiwifruit, has a smooth bronze lining with golden-coloured flesh. It is typically pointed at one end. As it is less tart and more flavourful, it is costlier than the common green variety! Since the peel is less ‘hairy’ and more palatable, this variety can even be eaten whole.
Start with washing kiwi well with water as the rough hairy skin tends to collect contaminants and dirt. Peel the kiwi using a peeler. For kiwi cubes, place the peeled kiwi on a chopping board and cut into 2 vertically with a sharp knife. Cut each piece into 3 to 4 more pieces vertically. Line all the pieces together and then cut horizontally into small pieces of desired size. Use as required.
Start with washing kiwi well with water as the rough hairy skin tends to collect contaminants and dirt. Peel the kiwi using a peeler. For kiwi cubes, place the peeled kiwi on a chopping board and cut into 2 vertically with a sharp knife. Cut each piece vertically into 2 more pieces. Line both the pieces together and then cut horizontally to make 4 pieces. These are usually about 1 inch in diameter. Use as required.
Start with washing kiwi well with water as the rough hairy skin tends to collect contaminants and dirt. Peel the kiwi using a peeler. Place the peeled kiwi horizontally on a chopping board and cut it using a sharp knife at regular intervals across the chopping board to get whole round slices. Use as required.
How to Select Kiwi, Kiwifruit
• While buying kiwi, select mature and firm ones that have fuzzy, brown to green-coloured skin.
• Kiwifruit has a soft texture so check that there are no bruises or physical damage such as cuts or ruptures, which might occur while transportation.
Culinary Uses of Kiwi, Kiwifruit
• Kiwifruit is very juicy and has a unique, slightly sour taste.
• It can be eaten alone or combined with other fruits as a fruit bowl.
• It is largely used in the preparation of fruit-based cakes, pastries, mousses, etc., and as a topping on desserts.
• The juice of the kiwifruit can be combined with other citrus fruit juices to make a cocktail.
• Kiwi is used in ice-creams and may be also be used as a garnish.
• It is a brilliant addition to salads as it has an attractive bright green colour spotted beautifully with tiny seeds.
How to Store Kiwi, Kiwifruit
• Kiwifruit stays fresh for at least a week if kept refrigerated at a relative humidity of 80-90%.
• But it would be preferable to consume it earlier to avoid any quality or nutritive loss.
Health Benefits of Kiwi, Kiwifruit
• Kiwi is a good source of vitamins like A, E and C. It plays a major role in maintaining skin collagen and avoiding skin damage.
• It also has anti-aging properties.
• Due to the presence of dietary fibre, it has a mild laxative effect and helps regulate indigestion.
• Being low in fat and low on glycemic index, along with being high in fibre makes it a boon for weight-watchers.
• Its vitamin C content helps to boost immunity.
• Kiwifruit is also known to reduce blood clotting and improve heart health.
• It has a high level of potassium and helps to maintain electrolyte balance in our body.
Glycemic Index for Kiwi
Kiwi has a Glycemic Index of 58 which is medium. Glycemic Index are for foods you eat, ranks carbohydrate-containing foods by how quickly they digest and raise your blood sugar or glucose levels. Foods rank from 0 to 50 are low GI, 51 to 69 are medium and 70 to 100 are high. Foods that are high in GI are not suitable for weight loss and diabetics. Go ahead and eat Kiwi.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.