Also Known as
Tarbuj, kalingar, water melon
What is Tarbuj, Watermelon?The juiciest and the most famous of all melons is the watermelon. A bright red oblong or round fruit with thick green rinds that are often spotted or striped and black seeds is now found all around the year. Indian's relish watermelon as it or with a sprinkle of chaat masala or black salt. You can toss them in salads or make delicious beverages.
Put the whole watermelon into the sink, gently wash with cool water, and dry with paper towels before cutting. Wash the rind of a watermelon with regular water. Use a sharp knife to carefully slice off the top and the bottom. A serrated knife works best for items that have a softer interior and tougher exterior like melons, tomatoes, and breads. Stand the melon on end, and carefully slice down through the centre. Remove the seeds with the tip of a knife, if you want. Slice watermelon horizontally into not very thick nor very thin wedges. Remove the rind by inserting a knife between the rind and the flesh to cut it away. Remove all the remaining seeds. Cut the wedges into uniform strips. Line up the strips with your non-working hand and cut them into square pieces of desired size.
Cut the watermelon in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds with the tip of a knife, if you want.
Slice watermelon horizontally into wedges. Remove the rind, if desired, by inserting a knife between the rind and the flesh to cut it away. Serve as wedges. Try arranging them on top of a fruit platter for a delicious, refreshing, and healthy treat.
To use a Melon Baller with melon, wash your melon, take the seeds out, then cut it in half and scoop the flesh out with a twist of your wrist. There's no need to cut the rind off the melon first; you just leave that behind. You can use left-over melon that can't be shaped nicely for a blender drink, or just eat it out of hand.
Scoops are great to decorate desserts or relish as it is. You can also, combine watermelon balls, watermelon juice and chill. Combine the watermelon balls with other fruits such as canned pineapple tidbits, orange slices, apples, bananas, strawberries, cherries and more to make a gourmet fruit salad.
Cut the watermelon in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds with the tip of a knife, if you want. Slice watermelon horizontally into thick wedges. Remove the rind by inserting a knife between the rind and the flesh to cut it away. Remove all the remaining seeds. Cut the wedges into uniform thick strips. Line up the strips with your non-working hand and cut them into square pieces. Cube them as per the recipe's need regarding the size of the cubes, (for example, "cut into ½-inch cubes").
Watermelon wedges are small bite sized pieces of watermelon which are served with skin.
Select a sharp chef's knife. Chop the watermelon into half. Place the watermelon on a chopping board, hold your knife comfortably, with your forefinger running down one side of the blade and your thumb pressed against the opposite side, chop it triangular in cross section. They may be seasoned with salt, black salt and spices prior to serving.
How to Select Tarbuj, Watermelon?
Although watermelons can now be found in the markets throughout the year, the season for watermelon is in the summer when they are sweet and of the best quality. The best way to choose a flavorful melon is to look at the color and quality of the flesh, which should be a deep color and absent from white streaks. If it features seeds, they should be deep in color.
Oftentimes, however, we do not have this liberty when purchasing watermelon since it is more common to buy a whole, uncut fruit. When choosing a whole watermelon, look for one that is heavy for its size with a rind that is relatively smooth and that is neither overly shiny nor overly dull. In addition, one side of the melon should have an area that is distinct in color from the rest of the rind, displaying a yellowish or creamy tone. This is the underbelly, the place that was resting on the ground during ripening, and if the fruit does not have this marking, it may have been harvested prematurely, which will negatively affect its taste, texture and juiciness.
Culinary Uses of Tarbuj, Watermelon?
· Wash the watermelon before cutting it. Due to its large size, you will probably not be able to run it under water in the sink. Instead, wash it with a wet cloth or paper towel.
· Depending upon the size that you desire, there are many ways to cut a watermelon. The flesh can be sliced, cubed or scooped into balls.
· Watermelon is delicious to eat as is, while it also makes a delightful addition to a fruit salad.
· Jam, sorbet and juice are some nutritious and delicious things you can make with watermelon.
· Watermelon can also be enjoyed with salt, cottage cheese, feta cheese, and/or salad greens for a delicious cool summer lunch.
· Some people like a bit of citrus such as lime juice sprinkled over the pieces for an especially refreshing snack.
· Sprinkling a dash of salt and pepper also enhances the fruit's taste.
· Blend watermelon in a blender or food processor (without the rind or seeds) for a wonderful summer beverage!
· Try a watermelon milkshake! It sounds weird, but it's amazingly good. You will want to use pureed watermelon with vanilla ice cream in a ratio of about 1/3 watermelon to 2/3 ice cream. (You can vary it depending on how strong a flavor you want, of course.) Put the watermelon into the blender or food processor first and blend it just enough to make it into mush. Put that into a separate container, then blend the vanilla ice cream by itself until you get the consistency you want. Then add the watermelon to the ice cream and blend the whole thing together. Pour it into a tall glass and serve.
· Try putting the cut pieces in a container with a flavored rum or vodka, and then let it chill for a few hours before serving.
· The rind can also be used in cooking, such as preserves and pickling.
· For easy 'grab and go' portions; halve a whole melon, then scoop out the flesh with an ice cream scoop. Store in the fridge, in a bowl. Enjoy quick, cool, sweet snacking for you and your family!
· Watermelon, with its sweet and subtle taste, can be used as a palate cleanser during meals.
· While many people are just accustomed to eating the juicy flesh of the watermelon, both the seeds and the rind are also edible. If you choose to eat the rind, it is highly suggested to purchase organic watermelon.
· Purée watermelon, cantaloupe and kiwi together. Swirl in a little plain yogurt and serve as refreshing cold soup.
· In Asian countries, roasted watermelon seeds are either seasoned and eaten as a snack food or ground up into cereal and used to make bread.
· A featured item of Southern American cooking, the rind of watermelon can be marinated, pickled or candied.
· Watermelon mixed with thinly sliced red onion, salt and black pepper makes a great summer salad.
· Watermelon is a wonderful addition to fruit salad.
· And fruit salad can be made days ahead since cut fruit, if chilled, retains its nutrients for at least 6 days.
· It's been thought that cut fruit rapidly degrades, so fruit salad, which can take 15 minutes to prepare, would have to be freshly prepared to be good.
How to Store Tarbuj, Watermelon?
Yet, once cut, watermelons should be refrigerated in order to best preserve their freshness, taste and juiciness. If the whole watermelon does not fit in your refrigerator, cut it into pieces (as few as possible), and cover them with plastic wrap to prevent them from becoming dried out and from absorbing the odors of other foods.
14 Health Benefits of Tarbuj, Watermelon
Watermelon is the best fruit for refreshing yourself during hot summer days. This juicy and nutritious fruit has vibrant red color. The seeds and even the rind of watermelon are edible and therefore this fruit does not have any part which can go waste. This succulent fruit can be eaten as a snack and is great for hydrating yourself.
1. Weight loss
Since this fruit has a higher water content and lower calorie content than other fruits, it has the ability to deliver more nutrients per calorie which makes it an excellent health product.
This juicy fruit will help you lose inches. Loaded with nutrients it’s a great ingredient to be included in your salads like Citrus-Watermelon-Salad and Fruit and Lettuce Salad.
2. Helps in energy production
Watermelons are a good way of increasing one's energy levels as they contain B vitamins like Pyridoxine, Folic Acid, Riboflavin and Thiamine which are necessary for energy production and release.
3. Keeps Anaemia at Bay
Watermelons are incredibly high in Iron and help in the treatment of anaemia. Regular consumption of watermelon will prevent from iron deficiency anaemia.
To increase the absorption of iron squeeze some lemon juice on iron rich foods. Want to increase your iron stores? Try our recipe for Watermelon and Strawberry Drink and Watermelon-and-Guava-Juice to ward off anemia.
Click here to know more about the 14 Health Benefits of Tarbuj, Watermelon.
Nutritional Information for 1 cup of Chopped Watermelon
One Cup of Chopped Watermelon is 172 grams.
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
0.34 grams of Protein
5.67 grams of Carbs
0.34 grams of Fat
13.58 mg of Iron (Fe) = 64.66% of RDA (about 21 mg)
19.69 mg Vitamin C = 49.23% of RDA (about 40 mg)
990.72 mcg of Vitamin A = 20.64% of RDA (about 4800 mcg)
0.17 mg of Vitamin B6, Pyridoxine = 8.50% of RDA (about 2 mg)
22.36 mg of Magnesium (Mg) = 6.38% of RDA (about 350 mg)
275.2 mg of Potassium (K) = 5.85% of RDA (about 4,700 mg)
9.54 mcg of Folic Acid = 4.77% of RDA (about 200 mcg)
0.05 mg of Vitamin B2, Riboflavin = 4.54% of RDA (about 1.1 mg)
1.03 grams of Fibre = 4.12% of RDA (about 25 grams)
4.81 mcg of Vitamin K = 4.00% of RDA (about 120 mcg)
20.64 mg of Phosphorus (P) = 3.44% of RDA (about 600 mg)
18.92 mg of Calcium (Ca) = 3.15% of RDA (about 600 mg)
46.95 mg of Sodium (Na) = 2.46% of RDA (about 1902 mg)
0.03 mg of Vitamin B1, Thiamine = 2.30% of RDA (about 1.2 to 1.5 mg)
0.17 mg of Zinc (Zn) = 1.54% of RDA (about 10 to 12 mg)
0.17 mg of Vitamin B3, Niacin = 1.41% of RDA (about 12 mg)