Vaingya Ambot, South Indian Brinjal Dal
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 12 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 3025 times
Vaingya Ambot is a tongue-tickling preparation of brinjals, cooked with tamarind and dal. Tamarind together with a paste of coconut and red-chillies gives this dish a wonderfully tangy and spicy flavour.
A dash of spice powders and a tempering of mustard seeds and asafetida add to the taste and aroma. Onions, sautéed with the tempering, give the Vaingya Ambot a rich taste and nice crunch too. This sour and spicy vegetable dish is made with minimal coconut and oil, to make it healthy.
Serve it hot with rice , rotis , idlis or dosas .
- Dry roast the coconut and the red chillies in a broad non-stick pan on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Cool slightly and blend it in a mixer to a smooth powder. Keep aside.
- Combine the toovar dal, turmeric powder, salt and 1¼ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Add the chopped onions, brinjal and ¼ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared coconut- red chilli mixture, tamarind pulp, coriander powder, ½ cup of water and little salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes. Keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and the sliced onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add this tempering to the dal along with ¼ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||22.9 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||4.4 mg|
|Folic Acid||6.9 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.