Sweet and Sour Tomato Chutney
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 388 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 41724 times
This zesty chutney is beaming with the balanced notes of effective but common spices like red chillies and mustard. Tomatoes team up well with onions and garlic to give a nice taste and pulpy mouth-feel.
The sweetness imparted by sugar is obvious in this unique chutney, but restrained enough to accentuate the tangy and spicy flavours.
Vinegar acts as a preservative and extends the shelf-life of the Sweet and Sour Tomato Chutney, while a squeeze of lemon imparts an invigorating sourness to it.
You can also try making other chutneys like Khajur Imli Ki Chutney or Malgapodi and Tomato Coconut Chutney
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the bayleaf, dried red chillies and mustard seeds and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, mix well and cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the sugar, vinegar, chilly powder, lemon juice and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Use as required.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per tbsp
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.