Added to 1 cookbook
This recipe has been viewed 8291 times
Learn the trick for preparing the best and simplest Spaghetti sauce with tomatoes, garlic and other handy ingredients. Spaghetti sauce can be used with stir fry veggies, noodles or any other pasta dish.
- In a heavy, large sauce pot, heat the olive on medium high. add the
- Chopped onions and saute until just translucent. add the minced garlic
- And saute for 2-3 minutes. add any of the optional veggies at this point
- And saute for about 5 minutes or until they begin to soften. add the
- Basil and marjoram. you can also add just a pinch of oregano. it is
- Quite strong so you need barely 1/8 of a tsp. stir well and continue
- Cooking until the herbs look wet. add the chopped whole tomatoes. bring
- The sauce to a simmer and simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the
- Tomatoes seem thick. add the tomato paste, the water and the wine. stir
- To mix everything up well and continue simmering for about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and season with garlic salt and black pepper to
- Taste. bring to a very low simmer and let cook for about 1 hour or more.
- This is enough sauce for 4 very large eaters or 6 normal eaters. to make
- More sauce just increase the amount of tomato sauce by one pint for every
- 1-3 people.
- Options: if you want some protein--and eat cheese and eggs--try the
- Gently crack an egg or two into the sauce about 3 minutes before
- Serving. let it cook to desired doneness--longer for hardboiled and just
- A few minutes for soft boiled. to serve, gently remove the egg with a
- Slotted spoon. if you've done it right, the egg should be perfectly
- Round, like a ball. place it on top of the pasta.
- Remove the stem end for a medium to large eggplant. make 4 slits from
- About 1" from the top to about 1" from the bottom and space them evenly
- Around the eggplant. do not cut all the way through. mix together dried
- Bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, extra virgin olive oil and several cloves
- Of garlic (minced) to a a dry paste. add salt and black pepper to
- Taste. stuff the slits with the mixture, pushing in as much as you can.
- In a heavy skillet, lightly saute the stuffed eggplant until just golden
- All around. add it to the spaghetti sauce about 1/2 hour before
- Serving. when serving, remove the eggplant from the sauce and slice into
- 1" thick slices, ladle a little sauce over all and sprinkle with parmesan
This recipe was contributed by sonaprem on 13 Feb 2002
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.