Refried Beans Stuffed Whole Wheat Tortilla with Green Tomato Salsa
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 132 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 25982 times
In this fantabulous Mexican recipe, whole wheat tortillas get a double flavour boost – from the multi-textured refried beans stuffing, as well as from the tangy green tomato salsa.
The salsa is a real tongue-tickler, with spring onions, spice powders and other flavour enhancers like coriander and green chillies.
The refried beans is equally tasty, with protein-packed rajma and a team of tasty ingredients like onions, tomatoes and spice powders.
Refried Beans Stuffed Whole Wheat Tortilla with Green Tomato Salsa gives you a super-tasty way to top up on protein and iron, two essentials for healthy skin. Protein helps maintain the elasticity of skin, while iron ensures a good supply of oxygen to the skin cells, which is necessary to stay healthy.
Keep your skin glowing with more of our recipes like Strawberry Banana Smoothie , and Spinach and Carrot Soup .
- Combine the whole wheat flour and salt in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the garlic and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and ¼ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the chilli powder, cumin seeds powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the rajma and ¼ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while mashing it coarsely using a potato masher.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
- Roll a portion of the dough into a 200 mm. (8”) diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Spread a portion of the refried beans stuffing on half of the roti and fold it over to make a semi-circle.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook each tortilla on a slow flame, till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Repeat steps 2 to 4 to make 5 more stuffed whole wheat tortillas.
- Serve immediately with green tomato salsa.
Nutrient values per tortilla
|Energy|| 158 kcal|
|Protein|| 7.1 gm|
|Carbohydrates|| 25.6 gm|
|Fat|| 1.9 gm|
|Iron|| 2.6 mg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.