Paneer Bhapa, Bengali Paneer Bhapa Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 12 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 10691 times
Paneer Bhapa is a unique snack, which gets an inimitable flavour by virtue of being cooked inside banana leaf pockets. Cottage cheese that has been marinated in lemon juice is coated with a tongue-tickling masala of coconut and mustard, wrapped in banana leaves and cooked for a few minutes till the flavours fuse.
Although the procedure sounds a bit complex, it is actually quite simple and doesn’t take too much time, as you will realise when you try it. The Bengali Paneer Bhapa can be served as a statrer at parties .
- Combine the turmeric powder, lemon juice and salt in a deep bowl, add the paneer and mix gently. Cover it with a lid and keep aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Take each banana leaf and keep over an open flame flipping it 1 to 2 times using a tong, till they change colour and become soft. Keep aside.
- Place a banana leaf on a clean, dry surface, place 1 marinated paneer in the center of the leaf and apply a portion of the mustard – coconut mixture evenly over it.
- Bring two opposite sides of the banana leaf towards the centre overlapping each other.
- Fold the remaining two sides towards the centre overlapping it, and seal it using a toothpick.
- Repeat step 3 to 5 to make 13 more paneer bhapa.
- Heat 1 tbsp of mustard oil on a tava (griddle) and cook 7 paneer bhapa at a time, on a medium flame, till dark brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Repeat step 7 to cook the remaining 7 paneer bhapa in one more batch.
- Unwrap the paneer bhapa from the banana leaves and serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per paneer bhapa
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.