Nimki Recipe, Bengali Jar Snack
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 10383 times
Nimki is an all-time favourite Bengali jar snack, which has a very appetizing flavour and extremely interesting mouth-feel!
Surprisingly, this snack requires only a few ingredients. Made of a plain flour dough flavoured elegantly with cumin and nigella seeds, the Nimki gets its unique texture from the way it is rolled and cut.
It feels very different when you bite into a Nimki and you are sure to be bowled over by the sheer variety that Indian cuisine offers – isn’t it truly amazing how the same ingredients can yield different kinds of snacks simply because they are rolled or cooked differently?
Continue the trend, and relish many more interesting homemade jar snacks like the Dry Pasta Jar Snack and Caramel Popcorn .
- Combine the plain flour, cumin seeds, nigella seeds, ghee and salt in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Knead into a semi-stiff dough using enough water.
- Cover with a lid and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Knead the dough again and roll into a 250 mm. (10”) diameter circle without using any flour for rolling.
- Apply the prepared paste evenly over it.
- Start rolling tightly from one end to another end.
- Cut into 13 equal portions using a sharp knife.
- Place a portion on a rolling board, where the swirled part in facing sideways and press it lightly.
- Roll into a 125 mm. (5”) diameter circle without using any flour for rolling. And prick using a fork.
- Fold into half to form a semi- circle and fold again to form a triangle and press the 2 corners lightly using your index finger.
- Prick using a fork on both the sides.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and deep-fry a few nimkis on a slow medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Cool completely and store in an air-tight container.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per nimki
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.