Moong Dal Nimki, Bengali Healthy Jar Snack
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 3 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 3665 times
Nimki is an inimitable Bengali snack, which never fails to make tea-time a lively affair. While the traditional deep-fried version is made with refined flour, here we have given the recipe several innovative twists to make it super healthy.
This Moong Dal Nimki is made with a combination of whole wheat flour and yellow moong dal, spiced up with sesame seeds, coriander and other tasty ingredients.
What’s more, this healthy treat is cooked on a tava with least oil. Try it and you will be surprised by how tasty and crisp it turns out!
You can also try other healthy snacks like Baked Whole Wheat Puris or Oats Moong Dal Tikki .
- Soak the yellow moong dal in enough water in a deep bowl for 30 minutes. Drain well.
- Combine the yellow moong dal and blend in a mixer to a coarse paste.
- Transfer the paste into a deep bowl, add all the remaining ingredients and knead into a semi-stiff dough without using water.
- Cover the dough with a damp muslin cloth and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions.
- Roll a portion of the dough into a 175 mm. (7”) diameter thin circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Cut the circle into 8 equal size long strips and keep aside.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it using ¼ tsp of oil.
- Cook all the strips on it, while pressing them using folded muslin cloth or khakhra press, till they turn crisp and golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Repeat steps 6 to 9 to make 24 more nimkis in 3 more batches.
- Cool completely and serve or store in an air-tight container and use as required.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per nimki
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.