by Tarla Dalal
Added to 39 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 17142 times
Traditional savouries have a timeless appeal, yet we sometimes hesitate to indulge in these for fear of adding too many calories! however, with a little thought and experimentation it is possible to optimize the taste and calorie count of most snacks, as in the case of this beetroot shakkarpara. Here is how you can make a healthier version of the traditional shakkarpara, by adding beetroot and baking the shakkarpara instead of deep-frying.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using little water.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portion and roll out each portion into a 175 mm. (7") diameter circle using whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Prick the surface with a fork at regular intervals.
- Cut into 25 mm. (1") diamond shaped pieces and keep aside.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 10 to 12 minutes or till it turns light brown in colour, turning all the shakkarparas once in 6 minutes.
- Repeat step 5 to make one more batch of shakkarpara.
- Cool and store in an air-tight container.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.