Malai Kulfi Without Condensed Milk
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
This recipe has been viewed 564 times
One bite of this dessert explains its timeless popularity.
The Malai Kulfi tastes like an Indian festival being celebrated in your mouth – with the crunch of nuts and the indulgent notes of Indian spices.
It is a class apart, and much superior to regular ice-cream. Made by boiling milk till it reduces to a nice thick rabdi, the Malai Kulfi has a luscious mouth-feel and rich flavour, which make your heart melt.
It can be enjoyed as such or used to make other desserts like the Kulfi Falooda. Have a go at more Kulfi-based desserts like the Kulfi Shots or Kulfi and Fruit Ice Cream
- Heat the milk in a deep non-stick pan and bring it to a boil on a medium flame. It should take about 10 minutes and make sure to stir occasionally as well to scrape the sides.
- Simmer the milk on a low flame for 30 minutes or till the milk reduces to less than half of the quantity, while stirring occasionally. The reason for stirring is to incorporate the malai that forms while simmering the milk which will ultimately make the malai kulfi thicker and richer.
- Add the sugar, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 1 minute or till the sugar melts.
- Add the cardamom powder, saffron, almonds and pistachios, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 1 more minute.
- Add the fresh cream, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till it comes to a boil.
- Switch off the flame and let it cool completely. Pour the mixture into 6 aluminum kulfi moulds.
- Freeze overnight or till set.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per kulfi
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.